Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Powerpoint

It has been a long time since I've created a PowerPoint.  I've never created one using Microsoft Office 2010 before this one.  There were a lot of new features to play with!  I found the required reading to be helpful with this project.  Some of the tips I found most valuable were create an outline, use transitions wisely, and use master layouts.   I also used a built in theme, but ended up changing many of the features. When creating a PowerPoint I think it is crucial to keep your audience in mind.  My audience will be elementary children.  With this in mind I changed many features of the built in theme.  To begin with, I changed the font.  I think it is important to use a font that is representative of the way we write.  I actually had a student ask me what a letter was, it was a g, and ever since then I've been very mindful of font.  I also changed the placement of text.  My theme defaulted the text to align from right to left.  Obviously we write from left to right, so I wanted my PowerPoint to be representative of that.  Also, when presenting this I don't think I would build in slide transitions.  I'd rather do it manually to allow for questions and discussion. Here is my slide show.
I did have a few issues with SlideShare.   Each time I tried to use the website my computer would crash.  It didn't seem to matter if I was using IE or Firefox.  After several tries I uploaded my slide show. I used two animations during my slide show for emphasis, but they do not work on SlideShare.  Also, when I  used  SlideShare to upload my slide show to my blog none of the transitions worked.
NETS/ISTE
3c. communicate relevant information and ideas effectively to students, parents, and peers using a variety of digital-age media and formats.  PowerPoint is a great way to communicate information, provided it is used correctly. 
2a. design or adapt relevant learning experiences that incorporate digital tools and resources to promote student learning and creativity. Using PowerPoint to adapt lessons to be more visual will help promote student learning.  Also, students creating their own power points will promote both  learning and creativity.
2c customize and personalize learning activities to address students' diverse learning styles, working strategies, and abilities using digital tools and resources.  Students using PowerPoint can utilize their personal learning styles and abilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment