Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Jing Screencast

I had a hard time choosing what to create a screencast about. At first, I thought I would do it on Glogster. But then I realized I wouldn't really be teaching anything because everyone used audio,video, images, and text. Then, I considered Diigo, but there are so many features that I'm not very familiar with,  I don't think I could do it justice. I finally decided on creating a screencast that shows how to embed a Glog into a Blog.  This isn't anything that is too difficult to do, but it does require changing the scale of the Glog.  Here is my screencast. I had trouble with Jing dropping pieces of my audio.  I will try using a different browser in the future to see if that helps. 
 Learning Outcomes: These are the test questions related to this activity.
1.What file types come out of Jing?  .png files are used for screen capture and Flash (.swf) files are used for Jing videos.
2.Where might we save these files? Where are the files stored? We can save the files anywhere on our computer.  Jing files are stored in Jing history.  If you share your media to screencast.com a unique URL is generated, thus storing your files online as well.
3.How do you link to a Screencast? In order to link to a screencast you need the URL that Jing gives to all media that is uploaded.  You can also go into your Jing history and hit share and the URL will be placed on your clipboard.
4.How do you save and retrieve Jing objects from the History area? Jing has a save button that allows you to save.  Jing keeps a history of all screen captures and videos you have made.  You can filter your saved media by image, video captures, or both.  Thumbnails and/or videos are sorted by date or size of file.  Click the share button to have the URL put on your clipboard. 
5.How to import Jing objects into our blog posts?  You can import Jing objects into blog posts by using the embed code provided.  Here is a great tutorial I found that shows you how! 
6.What file type is a Jing screencast. A Jing screencast is a Flash or .swf file.
7.Can we convert the Jing objects including images and videos?  This one I'm still working on.  I can't find any information that confirms one way or another.  I did find that videos are always .swf files.

ISTE/NETS
3c.communicate relevant information and ideas effectively to students, parents, and peers using a variety of digital-age media and formats.  Jing is a wonderful tool to use for communication!  It is great for making tutorials, and would also be great for giving students feedback on assignments. Screen captures can be used for creating posters, fliers, and a number of other helpful tools.
1a.promote, support, and model creative and innovative thinking and inventiveness. The assignment we did, "teaching a computer activity", is a great way to promote and model creative thinking.  I'm excited to see what my classmates choose to teach.
 4b.address the diverse needs of all learners by using learner-centered strategies providing equitable access to appropriate digital tools and resources.  I think creating Jing videos to aid students in learning is definitely a learner-centered strategy.



This is my screencast.  It is 1/3 the original size so it isn't the best quality.  Also, you may have to click on it for it to show up.

1 comment: