Monday, September 20, 2010

Self Assessment

I'm not really sure what there is to say about the self assessment we were required to do.  I posted a question on the discussion board and hopefully someone will respond! Until then, I guess I'll just write this as any other post.  I think that reflection and self assessment are vital to both students and teachers.  As a teacher, I know I have improved on many techniques due to reflection and self assessment.  As a student, I am always assessing myself.  I have no problems with honestly determining if I have done my best or if I need to step it up a notch.  As far as this class is concerned, I am proud of the way I answered most questions on the self assessment.   The only question I need to address is having someone else check my links for me.  I've always  logged out of everything to check the links, but that is probably not the most sure way of making sure they all work.
This class has caused me to reflect on my entire outlook concerning integrating technology in the classroom.  I've always thought I had done a good job.  I can create interactive power points and have had my students create documents on data processing applications.  I  effectively used email to communicate with peers and parents.  I booked extra time in the computer lab almost weekly and used the computers in my room for a learning station.  But, reassessing myself I've realized that I've kind of missed the mark.  My intentions were good, but my focus wasn't in the right place. I did a decent job at modeling technology.  I need to make technology more prominent and interactive.  I need to let my students get their hands dirty! When I return to the classroom I will not teach computers, I will teach subjects while effectively using different technologies.  I will not ask what technology will help me to teach, I will instead ask what technology will engage my students, and get them excited about learning. I've also realized that there are so many different tools and applications available that I knew nothing about!  I'm still not sure of a good way to stay informed about all of the new resources that come available.  Social bookmarking will help with that to an extent.  The blogs I subscribe to may also help. 
ISTE/NETS
 2 b.develop technology-enriched learning environments that enable all students to pursue their individual curiosities and become active participants in setting their own educational goals, managing their own learning, and assessing their own progress. The way this class is designed, and this assignment in particular, allows me as a student to assess my own progress and manage my own learning.
5c.evaluate and reflect on current research and professional practice on a regular basis to make effective use of existing and emerging digital tools and resources in support of student learning. I included this standard because each assignment has allowed me to reflect on my own practices of using digital tools and resources effectively as both a teacher and a student.

No comments:

Post a Comment