Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Voice Thread

I had never had any experience with VoiceThread until this assignment.  I started checking out the site last night before bed and it kept me up!  It was so neat to see all of the different voice threads that had been created, and explore the ways this could be used in a classroom.  Some of the great ideas I found were to use VoiceThread for students to create brochures for different countries, and using VoiceThread in place of science boards for science or social studies fairs. 
Leaving a comment on VoiceThread was not as simple as it should have been for me.  I decided that I wanted to comment using a microphone.  I have never done anything with audio before so I wanted to try.  After realizing I didn't have a built in microphone I got an external one and plugged it in.  After several trips to the control panel I got it to work. I left a few practice comments on other VoiceThreads before responding to the question "Who are you?"   I rerecorded my response to that question more than once! (A great feature of VoiceThread!) It is hard to get used to hearing yourself on audio.  But happily, I completed the task and am satisfied with my response.

Learning Outcomes:
A VoiceThread is a tool for having conversations around media.  Anyone can upload a picture, video, document, or an entire presentation.  The author can narrate what they uploaded and others can respond.  There are five ways to respond including text, telephone, microphone, file upload, or webcam.  Therefore, VoiceThread can capture and hold group discussions. 
VoiceThread can be used in any learning enterprise in several ways.  Teachers could use this tool for introducing any topic, creating a tutorial, or for group work.  Teachers could ask students to reflect on their learning or to respond to specific questions as an assessment tool.  It would be so easy to use this tool for reading responses or for creative writing.
When I was teaching second grade we did "Bio Bags."  Each student would pick someone and fill their bag with items that related to that person.  (They could draw, print pictures, or put actual items into their bags.)They would then give an oral report using the items in the bag as props.  VoiceThread would make this assignment so much fun! I imagine many students would prefer to record their presentation rather than give it in front of the class, and the images they could use would be endless!

ISTE/NETS
I think that this activity relates to all of the standards!  It most closely relate to:
1c. promote student reflection using collaborative tools to reveal and clarify students' conceptual understanding and thinking, planning, and creative processes.  As I mentioned earlier, teachers can use VoiceThread as a way for students to reflect on their learning.  Using this tool would also help teachers to understand the student's thinking, planning, and creative processes.
2a.design or adapt relevant learning experiences that incorporate digital tools and resources to promote student learning and creativity. This tool obviously promotes creativity and student learning!  It could be used for book reviews, weather forecasts, or any lesson.
3c.communicate relevant information and ideas effectively to students, parents, and peers using a variety of digital-age media and formats. I think that VoiceThread would be a great tool for introducing a new topic, communicating to parents about school events, and communicating with other teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment