Thursday, September 2, 2010

Google profile/ Google reader

I enjoyed looking through the Educblogs 2009 list of award winning blogs.  There are so many to pick from!  I started with the Best Resource Sharing blog list.  I figured it would be nice to have resources sent to me instead of me hunting and gathering!  After looking at a few I chose to follow Doug Off The Record. He had a lot of different resources listed, all of them linked up of course.  Most of which I had never heard of.  Then I looked at the Best Teacher blog category.  I picked Learn Me Good because the name made me smile.  After reading several posts it reminded me of my school in Virginia.  Too funny! Jack Woodson, the author, also lists some resources, but mostly I subscribed to his blog for comic relief! 
I set up my google profile to be public. Here is where you can find me.  And I shared a few posts from my new found blogs. Here are my shared items.  The first post has a link about small group routines.  I've always taught reading small group, but never math, so I found this interesting. The second post is about a free "utility" to help you organize your desktop.
 
Learning Outcomes:
1. Blog syndication is the use of a blog's feed to deliver the blog's content to other blogs, feed readers, and aggregators.  Some people relate it to an updated newsletter. (Taken from: Blogging Tips, What Bloggers Won’t Tell You About Blogging ) I have been following blogs for awhile, but I usually follow through e-mail. Mostly because I didn't know what a RSS feed was. This will sure help to keep my inbox cleaned up.  I like how reader is set up.  It will be nice to easily see what I haven't yet read.
2. RSS stands for Really Simple Syndication.  A family of web formats to publish frequently updated works.  Can be used for blog entries, news headlines, audio, and video in a standardized format.  (Wikipedia)

ISTE/NETS Standards:
5a.participate in local and global learning communities to explore creative applications of technology to improve student learning.  By subscribing to a  teacher resource blog it will be easy to explore creative applications of technology to improve student learning!
 3d.model and facilitate effective use of current and emerging digital tools to locate, analyze, evaluate, and use information resources to support research and learning.  By using Reader to subscribe to educational Blogs I can model use of current digital tools that help me locate information resources.  I can facilitate the use of this tool to help students with research and learning.  I think it would be especially pertinent to subscribe to news headlines.  They can often be used for social studies, science, math,  language arts lessons, character education, art and physical education.
 5d. contribute to the effectiveness, vitality, and self-renewal of the teaching profession and of their school and community.  By having a wealth of education resources being sent to me daily I will be able to address this standard on a regular basis!

No comments:

Post a Comment