Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Learning Styles: The results!

I must say that the results of my test surprised me!  And to be honest, I'm not really sure I agree with them. Or maybe the test results are accurate, but the descriptions of the learning styles don't coincide with the test very well.  Maybe my interpretation of the different learning styles is wrong. And of course, it is possible that I am wrong about how I learn. It distresses me that my predictions and my test results were so different.   My results were as follows:

I have a mild Aural Learning Preference. (This is what my results said.)
Aural: 8
Read/Write: 6
Kinesthetic: 4
Visual: 3
Being a social learner was not an option on this test.  But I would have never labeled myself as a Aural learner.  Even though I enjoy music very much, I have very little musical talent.  The description of an Aural learner does not sound like me at all. 

This was so disturbing to me I decided to do more investigating.  I went back to the original site that described the different learning styles.  They had their own free inventory to take.  (Although, taking their test signs you up for a newsletter, you can unsubscribe to it at any time.) I went ahead and took their test.  Here are my results.


  

The results of their test were much closer to my self assessment.  Which makes sense to me since I was using their descriptions of learning styles.  They rated me as follows:
Verbal: 18
Social: 17
Physical: 12
Aural: 8
Visual / Solitary / Logical all ranked 7

Maybe I'm a total dork for doing this, but I was really disturbed to think that I didn't know myself well enough to predict my styles of learning.  I'm not really sure what that would say about me as an educator. 

I think it is important to be aware of your learning style.  Knowing how I learn best, obviously helps me to learn.  Since I am a verbal, social learner taking online classes is difficult for me.  That is why I try to allow myself plenty of time to complete assignments.  I love the discussion board, it makes me feel more comfortable knowing I can ask questions if I need to.  I think it is even more important as a teacher to be aware of your students' styles of learning, or at least be consciously aware that everyone learns differently.  If a teacher is conscious of this they are more apt to design lessons that reach every learner. 

Learning Outcomes:
The learning styles are verbal, social, physical, aural, visual, solitary, and logical.
Being aware of learning styles can improve performance in a learning environment because they influence both the teacher and the student.  As I mentioned earlier teachers must be aware of different learning styles so they can design lessons that reach all learners.  If a student is aware of their learning style they can assist their own learning.  For example, a visual learner can find pictures or diagrams to help them learn and retain information.

For the first time a standard came to mind as I was completing this assignment!  The standard that I immediately thought of was 2c.customize and personalize learning activities to address students' diverse learning styles, working strategies, and abilities using digital tools and resources. This activity also addresses 2a.design or adapt relevant learning experiences that incorporate digital tools and resources to promote student learning and creativity. Nothing is more relevant than learning about oneself!

No comments:

Post a Comment