Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Google Docs - Web Publishing

How exciting!  I never knew that this existed!  (As is the case with most everything we've done in this class!)Sorry Microsoft, but I may not be buying another version of Office! I was a little nervous about putting all of my information out there for the world to see, so I changed my personal info to XXX.  Here is my resume!

This opens up a world full of possibilities for students including myself!  Even those who do not have Internet access at home can usually access it somewhere else, like a library.  No excuses for not getting an assignment done! :) And how convenient that a person can access whatever they are working on from anywhere!  You no longer have to remember your flash drive or whatever device you use to save documents.  And the share feature makes things nice and simple.  If you had email addresses for all of the parents in your classroom you could send newsletters and other correspondence to everyone at once.  You wouldn't have to run copies and hope that the students get them home. And the very best part, in my humble opinion, is you can do it from anywhere!  This is something I will be using in the future and will be encouraging others to use as well! 

Some of the ISTE/ NETS this relates to is 3c communicate relevant information and ideas effectively to students, parents, and peers using a variety of digital-age media and formats.  As I mentioned earlier what a great tool to use for communicating and collaborating with parents, students and coworkers!  Students could also use this tool for group projects.
4c promote and model digital etiquette and responsible social interactions related to the use of technology and information. Using Google Docs during group work would be a great way to address this standard. 
3b collaborate with students, peers, parents, and community members using digital tools and resources to support student success and innovation. Google Docs would make collaborating very simple. As a team lead I was responsible for the budget and ordering for my grade level, writing the instructional calendar, and many other tasks.  Using Google Docs  would have saved me from calling several team meetings!

No comments:

Post a Comment