Monday, November 8, 2010

An Open Letter To Educators

I’ve watched the video An Open Letter To Educators more than once to try and gauge my true feelings on all that Dan Brown says.  To begin with, I’m glad that he starts by saying a strong education is essential. Obviously, as an educator, I agree with that statement. 
Even though, I agree with some of what Dan Brown says, in some ways it is not applicable to me.  I can have all of the knowledge and information necessary to be a superb and effective teacher, but without a degree all of that free information isn’t going to matter.   Without a degree I cannot become certified as a teacher.  Without continuing my education I cannot re-certify as a teacher.  That is besides the point though, because I don't think I could be an effective teacher without my education .  My education has taught me how to think critically about a subject, how to reflect on my own practices, how to find information I need, and most importantly how to apply what I know to the everyday classroom.   I don't think I could learn that from the internet.  Also, anything I learn from the internet (which may or may not be true) will always be just my interpretation of what I read.  I learn much more if I have classmates and a professor to agree with, challenge, or guide my interpretation.
It is frustrating to think that I’m paying so much money for knowledge that is fast approaching the monetary value of zero.  To be honest I don't believe that there in no value to knowledge, knowledge will always be valuable. Also, with a master's degree my pay scale will increase so I would argue that there is monetary value to my knowledge. I think I understand what Brown is trying to say, education does need to adapt to the 21st century. I can take what he says and try to infuse his lesson into my own teaching, but even that can be difficult.  My experience in public schools has been that the curriculum is mandated, sometimes even scripted!  That can make it pretty difficult to encourage creativity and empower students.
 “Any institution based solely on providing students with facts is not preparing students for the real world.”   I agree with this statement wholeheartedly.  Unfortunately, applying it in practice is a different story.  In public school both teacher and student accountability are based on tests scores.  The majority of these tests are based on the regurgitation of facts.  I have been fortunate in my undergraduate and graduate studies.  Both of my college experiences have proven to be authentic learning experiences that have helped me to be an engaged learner.  Yes, it is true that I have had classes that were solely based on fact learning.  Fortunately the majority of my classes have been motivating.   Most of the courses I’ve taken have allowed me to explore, discuss, and solve real-world teaching problems while promoting reflection and creativity.   Also, I have had very few classes where the professor didn’t know my name or there was little interaction amongst students.  Maybe that is because of the program I am in or maybe it is because of the schools I’ve chosen to attend. (Both of the colleges I've attended are relatively small.) Either way, I’m glad that my experience has been more positive than Dan Brown’s.
Finally, something I’ve learned is that you shouldn’t complain about things unless you have ideas for solutions.  So I would like to hear Mr. Brown’s ideas on what institutions should do besides “adopt a few new tools?”  Especially considering the educational mandates I mentioned earlier.
Overall, I think this video is very thought provoking.  It would be powerful to show at a teacher professional development class and have an open discussion about.

5c. evaluate and reflect on current research and professional practice on a regular basis to make effective use of existing and emerging digital tools and resources in support of student learning. This video definitely requires educators to reflect on their teaching practices, and to question if they are effectively using  digital tools and resources to support student learning. 3d. model and facilitate effective use of current and emerging digital tools to locate, analyze, evaluate, and use information resources to support research and learning. This video required analyzing and evaluating in support of my own learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment