Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Google Forms

I LOVE Google forms!  At first, I had a hard time deciding what to create a form about.  (That always seems to be the tough part for me!)  I originally thought I would create a quiz on a children's book.  But once in the process of making the quiz I found it difficult to utilize each type of question for my quiz. Even though this could be used to make a quiz on any topic, using each type of question for one quiz is tricky! It would be fun to use this for interest surveys at the beginning of the school year, or satisfaction surveys after teacher development.   I also think this would be a great tool for communicating with parents.  I envision myself using it to find parent volunteers.  The spreadsheet will make it easy to see how many parents are willing to volunteer for classroom parties, field trips, reading buddies, and at home volunteers. I also loved an idea that I found on the Google Blog that suggested using Google Forms to write a "choose your ending" story. What a fun writing project that would be!    I finally decided to create a survey about cloth diapering, a passion of mine. Once I got started, Google Forms was really easy to use! I used tinyurl (which is a whole other blog post), to post my survey on Facebook.  I was very excited to see a response within a few minutes.  In fact, each time I check it there are new responses, which is thrilling in an odd sort of way.  I've been looking to see if there is a correlation between style of diapers used and gender or reason for cloth diapering.  I think it would be easiest to send surveys or quizzes via email, but since I don't know that many cloth diapering families I posted it on Facebook. Here is my survey. 



I also posted the link to the spreadsheet on Facebook so those who responded could take a look at what others had to say. I'm really excited about this tool, and can't wait to use it in the classroom.


ISTE/NETS
2d. provide students with multiple and varied formative and summative assessments aligned with content and technology standards and use resulting data to inform learning and teaching.  This would be a great tool to use for assessment.  Also, the resulting data would help a teacher determine if the teacher needs to reteach or enrich the unit of study.
3a. demonstrate fluency in technology systems and the transfer of current knowledge to new technologies and situations.  Completing this assignment required me to use knowledge I have previously learned in this class such as publishing Google Docs and embedding.
1d. model collaborative knowledge construction by engaging in learning with students, colleagues, and others in face-to-face and virtual environments. This is a great tool to collaborate with others.  Because Google Forms provides many different question types, including open response, collaboration is made simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment